Writing letters is a great way to show your sponsor child how much you care. When you write letters, a connection is made between your monthly support and your genuine concern for your child’s life and development. The children treasure these words and love to keep the letters they receive in a special place so they can read them again and again.
Letter writing tips:
- Tell your child about yourself, family, pets, friends, etc.
- Write about your hobbies, sports, job, school, church
- Tell your child about your favorite season, holiday, food, sport, Bible verse
- Share about your relationship with Jesus and how much He loves you and your child
- Encourage your child in any milestone, school performance, how special they are to you
- Tell your child how you pray for him and share encouraging Bible verses with him
- Ask your child questions about her school (if age appropriate), her favorite games or activities, what it’s like where she lives
Topics to avoid when writing:
- Emphasizing gifts you received, material possessions or size of your home or car
- Suggesting your child one day visit you in the US or that you will be visiting in Ethiopia
- Giving your personal mailing address or asking for your child’s address
- Asking about your child’s past experiences, such as details about their family and what life was like before entering into a new family
If you would like to send anything along with your letter it must be no larger than 8 ½ X 11 inches and no more than ¼ inch thick.
All items sent with letters MUST fit into a business size envelope.
Examples of items you can send:
- Coloring sheets, stickers, and drawings done by yourself or your children
- Pictures of you and your family
Reasons you can’t send larger gifts to your child:
- Packages sent overseas, especially developing countries, are collected and checked at customs and there is a great possibility for the items to be stolen.
- The cost for shipping items overseas can be very costly.
- For the sake of the children, it would not be fair for a few children to receive gifts but not the others.
However, there will be opportunities to send gifts to your child when the 30 Hearts team travels to Ethiopia each year. More information on this will be provided as the travel dates are made.
There are set dates throughout the year when all the letters will be sent at once to the children in Ethiopia. Please only send letters on the dates requested.
Please send your letters to our Sponsorship Coordinator:
34049 Garrett Dr.
North Ridgeville, OH 44039